Fox, Philip, DVM, MS, DACVIM/ECVIM (Cardiology), DACVECC
Staff Doctor; Head of Cardiology & Director, Caspary Research Institute and Education Outreach
Dr. Fox received his DVM degree at The Ohio State University. He is a well-recognized international speaker and has won many honors, including the North American Veterinary Conference (NAVC) Speaker of the Year, Distinguished Alumnus Award from Ohio State University, Daniels Award, Award of Merit from the NYPD, City of New York (for research to identify health risks in police dogs at and following the WTC 9/11 terrorist attacks). He was past President, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Cardiology Specialty. He has published extensively, including two cardiology textbooks, and is one of the founding editors of the Journal of Veterinary Cardiology. Dr. Fox is a popular lecturer at professional state and national veterinary conferences on topics related to coughing, heart and lung disease, new diagnostic methods, and effective therapies.
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology), 1983
- Diplomate, European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology), 1990
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 1997
- DVM - The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 1978
- Internship in Cardiology - The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY
- Residency in Cardiology - The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY
- Fox PR, Schober KA. Management of asymptomatic (occult) feline cardiomyopathy: Challenges and realities. J Vet Cardiol. 2015 Dec;17 Suppl 1:S150-8. Review.
- Maron BJ, Fox PR.Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in man and cats. J Vet Cardiol. 2015 Dec;17 Suppl 1:S6-9.
- Hogan DF, Fox PR, Jacob K, Keene B, Laste NJ, Rosenthal S, Sederquist K, Weng HY. Secondary prevention of cardiogenic arterial thromboembolism in the cat: The double-blind, randomized, positive-controlled feline arterial thromboembolism; clopidogrel vs. aspirin trial (FAT CAT). J Vet Cardiol. 2015 Dec;17 Suppl 1:S306-17.
- White CR, Langston C, Hohenhaus AE, Lamb K, Hackner S, Fox PR. Evaluation of the relationship between clinical variables and thromboelastographic findings in dogs with protein-losing nephropathy. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 2016 Jan;26(1):74-9.
- Skerrett SC, McClaran JK, Fox PR, Palma D. Clinical features and outcome of dogs with epiglottic retroversion with or without surgical treatment: 24 cases. J Vet Intern Med. 2015 Nov;29(6):1611-8.
- Fox PR, Basso C, Thiene G, Maron BJ.Spontaneously occurring restrictive nonhypertrophied cardiomyopathy in domestic cats: a new animal model of human disease. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2014 Jan-Feb;23(1):28-34.
- Fox PR, Oyama MA, Hezzell MJ, Rush JE, Nguyenba TP, DeFrancesco TC, Lehmkuhl LB, Kellihan HB, Bulmer B, Gordon SG, Cunningham SM, MacGregor J, Stepien RL, Lefbom B, Adin D, Lamb K. Relationship of plasma N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide concentrations to heart failure classification and cause of respiratory distress in dogs using a 2nd generation ELISA assay. J Vet Intern Med. 2015 Jan;29(1):171-9.
- Machen MC, Oyama MA, Gordon SG, Rush JE, Achen SE, Stepien RL, Fox PR, Saunders AB, Cunningham SM, Lee PM, Kellihan HB. Multi-centered investigation of a point-of-care NT-proBNP ELISA assay to detect moderate to severe occult (pre-clinical) feline heart disease in cats referred for cardiac evaluation. J Vet Int Med 2014;16:245-255.
- Rylander H, Eminaga S, Palus V, Steinberg H, Caine A, Summers BA, Gehrke J, West C, Fox PR, Donovan T, Cherubini GB. Feline ischemic myelopathy and encephalopathy secondary to hyaline arteriopathy in five cats. J Fel Med Surg 2014;10:832-839.
- Young BV, Prittie JE, Fox PR, Barton LJ. Decreased central venous oxygen saturation despite normalization of heart rate and blood pressure post shock resuscitation in sick dogs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2014;24:154-156.
- Oxford EM, Danko CG, Fox PR, Kornreich BG, Moïse NS. Change in beta--catenin localization suggests involvement of the canonical Wnt pathway in Boxer dogs with arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathy. J Vet Int Med 2014;8:92-101.
- Fox PR, Basso C, Thiene G, Maron BJ. Spontaneously occurring restrictive nonhypertrophied cardiomyopathy in domestic cats: a new animal model of human disease. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2013;13:156-7.
- PR.Fox,1 AA.Motsinger-Reif,2 BW.Keene2 for the REVEAL-Investigators. 1Animal Medical Center, NY, NY, 2North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. International collaborative study to asses cardiovascular risk and evaluate long term health in feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (REVEAL). Presented at the 2013 ACVIM Forum, Seattle, WA.
- Oyama MA, Boswood A, Connolly DJ, Ettinger SJ, Fox PR, Gordon SG, Rush JE, Sisson DD, Stepien RL, Wess G, Zannad F. Clinical usefulness of an assay for measurement of circulating N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentration in dogs and cats with heart disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013;243:71-82.
- Buch JS for the NT-proBNP Field Trial Study Group: Oyama MA, Rush JE, Fox PR, Nguyenba TP, Bulmer BJ, Cunningham SM, Kellihan HB, Gordon SG, Lefbom BK, DeFrancesco TC, MacGregor JM, Lehmkuhl LB, Stepien RL, Brown WA, CLINICAL EVALUATION OF A SECOND-GENERATION CANINE NT-PROBNP ASSAY. Europ Coll Vet Int Med 2013 Abstr
- Vila J, Pariaut R, Moise S, Oxford EM, Fox P, Reynolds C, Saelinger C. Structural and molecular pathology of the atrium in a canine model of arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;61:E387
- Hogan D, Fox PR, Jacob K, Keene B, Laste N, Rosenthal S. Analysis of the feline arterial thromboembolism: clopidogrel vs. aspirin trial (FAT CAT). JVIM 2013 Abstr.
- Vollmar A, Fox PR, Servet E, Biourge V. Determination of the prevalence of whole blood taurine deficiency in Irish wolfhound dogs with and without echocardiographic evidence of dilated cardiomyopathy. J Vet Cardiol 2013 (In press)
- Currao RL, Berent AC, Weisse C, Fox P. Use of a percutaneously controlled urethral hydraulic occluder for treatment of refractory urinary incontinence in 18 female dogs. Vet Surg. 2013 Jan 8. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2012.01040.x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Singletary GE, Rush JE, Fox PR, Stepien RL, Oyama MA. Effect of NT-pro-BNP assay on general practitioners in diagnosing heart failure or respiratory disease in cats with respiratory signs. J Vet Int Med 2012;26:542-546
- Fox PR. Pathology of mxyomatous mitral valve disease. J Vet Cardiol 2012;14:103-26.
- Reynolds CA, Brown DC, Rush JE, Fox PR, Nguyenba TP, Lehmkuhl LB, Gordon SG, Kellihan HB, Stepien RL, Lefbom BK, Kate Meier C, Oyama MA. Prediction of first onset of congestive heart failure in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease: The PREDICT cohort study. J Vet Cardiol. 2012 Mar;14(1):193-202.
- Fox PR, Rush JE, Reynolds CA, Defrancesco TC, Keene BW, Atkins CE, Gordon SG, Schober KE, Bonagura JD, Stepien RL, Kellihan HB, Macdonald KA, Lehmkuhl LB, Nguyenba TP, Sydney Moise N, Lefbom BK, Hogan DF, Oyama MA. Multicenter evaluation of plasma N-terminal probrain natriuretic peptide (NT-pro BNP) as a biochemical screening test for asymptomatic (occult) cardiomyopathy in cats. J Vet Intern Med. 2011 Sep;25(5):1010-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2011.00776.x. Epub 2011 Aug 30.
- Meurs KM, Heaney AM, Atkins CE, DeFrancesco TC, Fox PR, Keene BW, Kellihan HB, Miller MW, Oyama MA, Oaks JL Comparison of polymerase chain reaction with bacterial 16s primers to blood culture to identify bacteremia in dogs with suspected bacterial endocarditis. J Vet Intern Med. 2011 Jul-Aug;25(4):959-62. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2011.0742.x. Epub 2011 Jun 20.
- Oxford EM, Danko CG, Kornreich BG, Maass K, Hemsley SA, Raskolnikov D, Fox PR, Delmar M, Moïse NS. Ultrastructural changes in cardiac myocytes from Boxer dogs with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy. J Vet Cardiol. 2011 Jun;13(2):101-13. Epub 2011 Jun 1.
- Reynolds CA, Oyama MA, Rush JE, Rozanski EA, Singletary GE, Brown DC, Cunningham SM, Fox PR, Bond B, Adin DB, Williams RM, MacDonald KA, Malakoff R, Sleeper MM, Schober KE, Petrie JP, Hogan DF. Perceptions of quality of life and priorities of owners of cats with heart disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2010 Nov-Dec;24(6):1421-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2010.0583.x. Epub 2010 Aug 24.
- Atkins C, Bonagura J, Ettinger S, Fox P, Gordon S, Haggstrom J, Hamlin R, Keene B (Chair), Luis-Fuentes V, and Stepien R. Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Canine Chronic Valvular Heart Disease J Vet Intern Med 2009;23:1142–1150.
- Oyama MA, Rush JE, Rozanski EA, Fox PR, Reynolds CA, Gordon SG, Bulmer BJ, Lefbom BK, Brown BA, Lehmkuhl LB, Prosek R, Lesser MB, Kraus MS, Bossbaly MJ, Rapoport GS, Boileau JS. Assessment of serum N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentration for differentiation of congestive heart failure from primary respiratory tract disease as the cause of respiratory signs in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2009 Dec 1;235(11):1319-25.
- Fox PR, Oyama MA, Reynolds C, Rush JE, DeFrancesco TC, Keene BW, Atkins CE, Macdonald KA, Schober KE, Bonagura JD, Stepien RL, Kellihan HB, Nguyenba TP, Lehmkuhl LB, Lefbom BK, Moise NS, Hogan DFUtility of plasma N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) to distinguish between congestive heart failure and non-cardiac causes of acute dyspnea in cats. J Vet Cardiol. 2009 May;11 Suppl 1:S51-61. Epub 2009 Apr 24
- Beddies G, Fox PR, Papich MD, Kanikanti VR, Krebber R, Keene BW. Comparison of Pharmacokinetic Properties of Bisoprolol and Carvedilol in Healthy Dogs. Am J Vet Res. 2008; 69:1659-1663.
- Fox PR, Puschner B, Ebel J. Assessment of acute injuries, exposure to environmental toxins, and five-year health surveillance of New York Police Department working dogs following the September 11, 2001 World Trade Center terrorist attack. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2008;233:48-59.
- Oyama MA, Fox PR, Rush JE, Rozanski EA, Lesser M. Clinical utility of serum N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentration for identifying cardiac disease in dogs and assessing disease severity. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 32:1496-503.
- Distl O, Vollmar AC, Broschk C, Hamann H, Fox PR. Complex segregation analysis of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in Irish wolfhounds. Heredity 2007;99:460-5.
- Oxford E, Everitt M, Coombs W, Fox PR, Krause M, Gelzer AR, Saffitz J, Taffet SM, Moise NS, Delmar M. Molecular composition of the intercalated disc in a spontaneous canine animal model of arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Heart Rhythm. 2007;4:1196-1205.
- Atkins CE, Keene BW, Brown WA, Coats JR, Crawford MA, DeFrancesco TC, Edwards NJ, Fox P, Lehmkuhl L, Luethy M, Meurs K, Petrie JP, Pipers F, Rosenthal S, Sidley JA, Straus J. Chronic Enalapril monotherapy in compensated, naturally-occurring mitral insufficiency: Results of the Veterinary Enalapril Trial to Prove Reduction in Onset of Heart Failure (VETPROOF). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007;231:1061-9.
- Meurs KM, Fox PR, Norgard M, Spier AW, Lamb A, Koplitz SL, Baumwart RD. A prospective genetic evaluation of familial dilated cardiomyopathy in the Doberman Pinscher.. J Vet Int Med 2007 J Vet Int Med 2007;21:1016-1020.
- Rousseau A, Prittie J, Broussard JD, Fox PR, Hoskinson J. Incidence and characterization of esophagitis following esophageal foreign body removal in dogs: 60 cases (1999–2003). J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2007;17:159-163.
- Meurs MM, Lacombe VA, Dryburgh K, Fox PR, Reiser PR, Kittleson MD. Differential expression of the cardiac ryanodine receptor in normal and arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy in canine hearts. Hum Genet 2006;120:118-118.
- Miller MW, Gordon SG, Saunders AB, Arsenault WG, Meurs KM, Lehmkuhl LB, Bonagura JB, Fox PR. Angiographic classification of patent ductus arteriosus morphology in dogs. J Vet Cardiol 2006;8:109-128.
- Miller MW, Fox PR, Saunders AB. and clinical feaPathologic tures of infectious endocarditis. J Vet Cardiol 2004;2:35-43.
- Basso C, Fox PR, Meurs KM, Towbin JA, Spier AW, Calabrese F, Maron BJ, Thiene G. Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy causing sudden cardiac death in Boxer dogs A new animal model of human disease. Circulation109:1180-1185, 2004.
- Vollmar A, Fox PR. Pericardial disease. Kleintierpraxis 2004.
- Fox PR. Endomyocardial fibrosis and restrictive cardiomyopathy: pathologic and clinical features. J Vet Cardiol 6;25-31, 2004.
- Fox PR. Time for pathology renaissance. J Vet Cardiol 6;5, 2004.
- Fox PR. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Clinical and pathologic correlates. J Vet Cardiol 5;39-45, 2003.
- Volmar A, Fox PR, Meurs K, Liu SK. Dilated cardiomyopathy in juvenile Doberman pinschers. J Vet Cardiol 5:23-27, 2003.
- Fox PR, Maron BJ, Liu SK, Basso C, Thiene R. Spontaneously occurring arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy in the domestic cat: A new animal model similar to the human disease. Circulation 102:1863-1870, 2000.
- Meurs KM, Fox PR, Magnon AL, Liu S-K, Towbin JA. Molecular screening by polymerase chain reaction detects panleukopenia virus DNA in formalin-fixed hearts from cats with idiopathic cardiomyopathy and myocarditis. Cardiovasc Pathol 9:119-126, 2000