Hart, Robert, DVM, DACVS
Staff Doctor, Head of Orthopedic & Joint Replacement Surgery
Dr. Hart is the Director of Orthopedic and Joint Replacement Surgery at AMC. Prior to joining the institution, Dr. Hart served as Clinical Surgeon and Director of Surgical Services at the Katonah Bedford Veterinary Center in Bedford Hills, NY, where he performed soft tissue, orthopedic and neurosurgery procedures for nearly a decade. He is an expert at fracture repair and has extensive experience with Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO), Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA) and Total Hip Replacement surgeries. Dr. Hart spent four years as a member of the faculty at Cornell University Hospital for Animals in Ithaca, NY, supervising and educating surgical residents, interns and veterinary students in the management of clinical patients, in addition to facilitating collaborative research. Dr. Hart is a noted author, lecturer and teacher, having written numerous scientific articles and a book chapter on topics such as molecular biology of joints, ACL injury, and spinal surgery. Most recently, he joined the BioMedtrix teaching team, educating surgeons around the world in the performance of total hip replacement in dogs and cats. In 2015, Dr. Hart was given the title of Senior Lecturer in Orthopedic Surgery by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, where he continues to perform surgery and research. Dr. Hart graduated from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University and completed his residency in small animal surgery in the Department of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Texas A&M University.
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- DVM - Michigan State University, Lansing, MI
- Residency in Small Animal Surgery, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Appel, LD, Hart, RC Spay and Neuter Surgical Techniques for the Animal Shelter, Chapter 22 (p 355-377) in Shelter Medicine for Veterinarians and Staff, Lila Miller ed., Blackwell; 2004.
- Hart RC, Hulse DA, Kochevar D, Slater, M. Contribution of periarticular tissue to stabilization of the canine stifle joint after cranial cruciate ligament reconstruction. Vet Comp Orthop Traum 1(2003):21-25.
- Johnson KA, Hart RC, Chu Q, Kochevar D, Hulse DA. Concentrations of chondroitin epitopes 3B3 and 7134 in synovial fluid after intra-articular and extracapsular reconstruction of the cranial cruciate ligament in dogs. Am J Vet Res 62(4):581-587.
- Johnson KA, Hulse DA, Hart RC, Kochevar D, Chu Q. Effects of orally administered chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride and manganese ascorbate on synovial fluid chondroitin sulfate 3B3 and 7134 epitope levels in a canine ligament transection model of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9(1):14-21.
- Hulse DA, Hart RC, Slatter M. Weeks B, Kochevar D, Beale BS. The effect of Cosequin in the cranial cruciate deficient and reconstructed stifle joint in dogs. Veterinary Orthopedic Society Proceedings 1998.
- Hart RC, Jerram RJ, Schulz KS. Post-operative management of the canine spinal surgery patient - part II. Compend Contin Educ Prac Vet 19(10):1133-1148.
- Jerram RJ, Hart RC, Schulz KS. Post-operative management of the canine spinal surgery patient - part I. Compend Contin Educ Prac Vet 19(2):147-161.
- Hart RC, Schulz KS, Walker, MA. What's your diagnosis? Lateral intervertebral disk extrusion at L6-L7. J Am Vet Med Assoc, 1997;210:487-488.