National Fire Prevention Week, sponsored by the National Fire Prevention Association, is October 8-14. This year’s theme is “Cooking Safety Starts with You.” While pets don’t cook, they can start kitchen fires and are sadly victims of housefires. In 2021, CNN reported on cats causing kitchen fires by jumping on stoves with touch sensitive buttons. Once the cats turned the stove on, it overheated and caught fire. In this blogpost, I’ll discuss the pet health hazards of house and apartment fires and what you can do to keep your family safe.
In past holiday seasons, I have written about a variety of holiday-specific dangers: electric cords, candles, party fare, gift wrap and ribbon. I’ve also written about chocolate poisoning and toxic floral arrangements. Even though holiday activities will be scaled back this year, these pet dangers continue to pose a threat. My focus for today’s blogpost
Because I love all things about animals, I was extra happy to see a pair of recent news stories reporting on two pet heroes, one dog and one cat. Ace, a Cocker Spaniel suffering from cancer, woke up his owner and brother dog in the nick of time to save the rest of the family