The Veterinary Assistant Role at AMC
Veterinary assistants play a vital role at the Schwarzman Animal Medical Center. They work alongside our veterinarians and veterinary technicians to provide comfort and care for all our patients. Our veterinary assistants help during patient exams, blood sampling, catheter placement, and assist in running point of care laboratory tests. Our veterinary assistants also take radiographs, assist in ultrasound, and even help prepare surgical instruments and operating room set up. Veterinary assistants can take advantage of our career ladder to learn and grow into advanced positions like surgical instrument assistants and patient care assistants. We also offer tuition assistance to employees wanting to continue their educational goals and the ability to earn externship hours for accredited veterinary technology programs.
We are currently offering a $1,000 sign on bonus for Veterinary Assistant hires.
- Provide excellent care and ensure cleanliness and comfort of all AMC patients
- Provide appropriate assistance with emergency patients
- Assist with patient admissions, transfers, and discharges
- Facilitate patient visits
- Perform accurate record keeping and data entry
- Communicate changes in patient’s behavior and voids to doctors and technicians
- Maintain excellent working relationships between departments
- Ability to lift and restrain animals weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, demonstrating a high level of initiative
- Must exhibit good organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills
- Must have ability to remain composed in stressful and emergency situations
- Must be able to follow detailed protocols
- Must neatly and correctly fill out paperwork as necessary
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Approved Veterinary Assistant or equivalent certificate a plus, but not required
- Flexibility and the ability to accommodate shift work in a hospital that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Our comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Generous sign-on bonus $1,000
- Generous paid time off
- Tuition assistance
- 50% discount on veterinary care
- 403b matching
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- You may be eligible for The Public Loan Service Forgiveness Program as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit employer
AMC’s Commitment to Lifelong Learning
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center is located in Manhattan, near a multitude of leading research and teaching hospitals. AMC’s commitment to compassionate and pioneering veterinary care dates to 1910 when it was founded as a clinic to help animals whose owners could not afford treatment. We continue this legacy today as the world’s largest non-profit animal hospital, with 130+ veterinarians working collaboratively across 20 specialties and services. Our team prides itself on delivering world class veterinary care to help keep pet families together.
When you join the team at AMC, you join a renowned team of veterinary professionals dedicated to innovative care, research, and education. Our prestigious postgraduate education programs attract future leaders in veterinary medicine, and the clinical research conducted at AMC has led to breakthroughs that change the way veterinary care is delivered industry wide. This shared commitment to learning, teaching, and innovative care creates a collegial, collaborative environment with rewarding opportunities for advancement and growth.
We’re building the future of veterinary medicine at the Schwarzman Animal Medical Center, thanks to our transformative Gift of Love campaign to expand and enhance our clinical, educational, and research capacities. Construction is currently underway to fully renovate the hospital, ensuring AMC is at the forefront of veterinary medicine for generations to come.
$17.30 – $22.00 per hour
Interested and qualified candidates should email resume/application, with cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 212-758-8157.
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center offers excellent benefits including medical/dental insurance, tuition assistance, retirement plan, pet care discounts and more. Interested and qualified candidates should apply with a resume/application and cover letter to email@example.com or fax 212-758-8157. Please visit our website www.amcny.org for more information.