Find A Doctor
Joel Weltman,DVM, DACVECC, PhD
Dr. Weltman, a former intern at the Animal Medical Center, rejoined the AMC staff as a member of the emergency and critical care team in 2017. After completing his internship, Dr. Weltman went on to achieve board certification following residency at Cornell University. Following residency, Dr. Weltman chose to pursue his Ph.D. at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, investigating the neuroplastic control of breathing as it pertains to sleep apnea and spinal cord injury. As a member of the emergency and critical care team, Dr. Weltman has spearheaded and supported several research projects and currently holds numerous intramural and extramural grants for ongoing studies.
Outside of work Dr. Weltman is an active member within the NYC choral community and spends time with his Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Brisket.
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care, 2013
- BS in Anthropology-Zoology – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2005
- DVM – University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 2009
- PhD in Neuroscience – University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, 2017 (Dissertation: “One Breath at a Time: Stability in Respiratory Neural Networks”)
Postgraduate Research and Hospital Training:
- Internship – The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY, 2010
- Residency in Emergency & Critical Care – Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2013
Weltman JG, Rogers CA, Fletcher DJ. Influence of Major Crossmatch on Feline Packed Red Blood Cell Transfusion Efficacy. J Vet Emerg Crit Care. 24(4): 429-36, 2014.
Blutinger A, Zollo AM, Weltman JG, Prittie JE. Prospective evaluation of blood lactate parameters for prognosticating dogs with shock. J Vet Emerg Crit Care. Accepted for publication.
Weltman JG, Prittie JE. The influence of a fast track service on case flow and client satisfaction in a high volume veterinary emergency department. J Vet Emerg Crit Care. Accepted for publication.
Cameron S, Weltman JG, Fletcher DJ. The prognostic value of admission blood gas parameters and Modified Glasgow Coma Scale score in dogs and cats with traumatic brain injuries (2007 – 2010). J Vet Emerg Crit Care. Awaiting Review.
Pfeifer M, Zollo AM, Weltman JG, Prittie JE. Red cell distribution width, illness severity, and all-cause mortality in dogs admitted to the ICU. J Vet Emerg Crit Care. Awaiting review.