Find A Doctor
La’Toya Latney,DVM, DECZM (Zoo Health Management), DABVP (Reptile & Amphibian), CertAqV
Specialist in Zoo & Reptile Medicine Department: Avian & Exotic Pets
Dr. Latney joins AMC after transitioning from the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Teaching Hospital after 11 years, where she continues to teach senior veterinary students clinical avian, small mammal, and reptile medicine courses. As an adjunct professor of Clinical Zoo and Exotic Animal Medicine, Dr. Latney tackles patient care using an integrated evidence-based approach for all species. As a progressive patient advocate, she brings a contagious enthusiasm for celebrating the physiology, anatomy, and medicine of exotic and zoo animals. Her special interests include reptile infectious diseases, comparative critical care and adapted emergency response for exotics, translational medicine, innovative surgical techniques for all species, and reptile husbandry and nutrition. She is a board member for the Association of Reptile & Amphibian Veterinarians and publishes review articles, studies, and case reports in several veterinary journals. She is proud to bring advanced reptile medicine options to AMC!
Board Certifications & Credentials
- Diplomate, European College of Zoological Medicine (Zoo Health Management)
- Diplomate, American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (Reptile & Amphibian)
- Certified Aquatic Veterinarian
- Adjunct Professor, University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- DVM, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
- MS, Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Training, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- BS, Biological Sciences, Cornell University
- Residency in Special Species Medicine and Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- Internship in Exotic Animal Medicine and Surgery, Island Exotic Veterinary Care
Peer-Reviewed Publications & Research Papers:
- The relationship between steroid hormones and seasonal reproductive events in free- living female pygmy rattlesnakes, Sistrurus miliarius. Lind CM, Moore IT, Vernasco BJ, Latney LV, DiGeronimo PM, Farrell TM. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2020 May 1;290:113416. doi: 10.1016/j.ygcen.2020.113416. Epub 2020 Jan 30.PMID: 32006531
- Hansen C, Allender M, Adamcyk L, Latney LV, DiGeronimo PM. Detection of Mycoplasma sp. in wild-caught critically-endangered Indochinese box turtles (Cuora bourreti). Accepted J Zoo Wildl Med. In print for 2019:(50)1.
- Gronsky S, DiGeronimo PM, Latney L. (2018) What’s Your Diagnosis? Epibranchial bone luxation in a juvenile gyrfalcon (Falco rusticolus) with concomitant aspergillosis. Accepted. J Avian Med Surg. In print for 2019: (31)9.
- DiGeronimo, P. M., Van Why, K., Glass, H., Dubovi, E. J., & Latney, L. (2018) Serosurvey for Influenza Virus Subtypes H3N8 and H3N2 Antibodies in Free-Ranging Canids in Pennsylvania, USA. J Wild Dis; 55(1):227-230.
- Latney, L., Runge, J., Wyre, N., Larenza-Menzies, M.P., Neville, C. and Briscoe, J. (2018) Novel Technique for Scapulohumeral Amputations in Avian Species: A Case Series. Isr J Vet Med; 73(1):35-45.
- Latney, L, Beguesse, K., Newton, A.L. and Raphael, B.L. (2017) Management of a Soft Tissue Sarcoma in a Bog Turtle (Glyptemys muhlenbergii). J Herpetol Med Surg; 27(1-2):12-17.
- Latney L, Toddes BT, Wyre NR, Brown DC, Michel K, Briscoe JA. (2017) Evaluation of the calcium and phosphorus composition of Tenebrio molitor mealworms and Zoophobas morio superworms fed supplemental diets utilized to improve the nutrition of insectivorous animals. Am J Vet Res; 8(2):178-185.
- Suran, J.N., Latney, L.V. and Wyre, N.R. (2017) Radiographic and ultrasonographic findings of the spleen and abdominal lymph nodes in healthy domestic ferrets. J Small Anim Pract; 58(8):444-453.
- Latney L, McDermott C, Scott G, Soltero-Rivera M, Beguesse K, Sanchez M, Lewis J. (2016) Surgical management of maxillary and premaxillary osteomyelitis in a reticulated python (Python reticulatus). J Am Vet Med Assoc; 248(9):1027-1033.
- Latney L, Miller E, Pessier AP. (2015) Nuptial pad amputation in an American bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus) with squamous cell carcinoma. J Zoo Wildl Med; 46(4):941-944.
- Selected Emerging Infectious Diseases of Amphibians. Latney LV, Klaphake E.Vet Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 2020 May;23(2):397-412. doi: 10.1016/j.cvex.2020.01.003.PMID: 32327044 Review.
- Latney L, Bradley C, Drury RV, Wyre NW. (2014) Encephalitozoon cuniculi in pet rabbits: clinical diagnosis and optimal management. Veterinary Medicine: Research and Reports 2014; 5:169–180. ISSN (22302034).
- Latney L, Klaphake E. (2013) Selected Infectious Diseases of Amphibia. Vet Clin Nor Amer: Exot Anim Pract; 16(2): 283–301.
- Latney L, Wellehan JXF. (2013) Selected Emerging Infectious Diseases of Squamata. Vet Clin Nor Amer: Exot Anim Pract; 16(2): 319-338.
Book Chapters and Reviews:
- N Schoch & E. Miller (eds.). Latney L. Chapter Author: Field Manual for Wildlife Toxicology: Sample Collection and Processing, CRC Press; 2018. In press. -9 Chapters: Anomalomorpha, Castorimorpha, Hystricomorpha, Scuiromorpha, Myomorpha, Caecilians, Lacertilia, Anura, and Caudata.
- Latney L, Helleckbuck T. Chapter Author: European Association of Zoo & Wildlife Veterinarians (EAZWV) Infectious Diseases Handbook. 2018. In Press. -1 Chapter: Devriesea agamarum infection in lizards.
- Briscoe JA, Latney L, Heinze CR. Nutritional support in exotic pet species. Eds. Chan DL. Nutritional Management of Hospitalized Small Animals, 1ed. Wiley-Blackwell 2015:234-246.
- Latney L, Donnelly T. Section I: Urolithiasis in Guinea Pigs. Eds. Mayer, J and Donnelly T. Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Birds and Exotic Pets, 1ed. Saunders, 2013:282-283.
- Latney L, Donnelly T. Section I: Ovarian Disease of Gerbils. Eds. Mayer, J and Donnelly T. Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Birds and Exotic Pets, 1ed. Saunders, 2013:299-300.
- Latney L, Wyre N. Exotic Animal Emergency Handbook. For PennVet Specialty Interns and Residents. 2015. Copyright pending.