About Dentistry at AMC
AMC’s Dentistry Service aims to provide the highest quality dental care to our animal patients and to serve veterinarians in New York City and the tri-state area who need to provide dental services for their clients.
Many pet owners don’t realize it, but dental disease is the most common disease in dogs and cats. More than 50% of cats and 85% of dogs over the age of 3 have dental problems that require professional treatment. The consequences of leaving dental disease untreated include:
- Oral pain and infection
- Loss of teeth
- Potential infection to major body organs
- Diminished quality of life
To treat our animal patients, the veterinary dentists at AMC use the same equipment and anesthesia as human dentists, and they perform the same types of services – root canals, oral surgeries, restorations, orthodontia, etc. Animals that receive proper dental care often live happier and healthier lives.
AMC’s Dentistry Service performs a variety of dental procedures, including:
- Root canal treatment
- Jaw fracture repair
- Surgical extractions
- Treatment of periodontal disease
- Oral cancer surgery
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center employs state-of-the-art equipment including heart and blood pressure monitors, a patient warming system, and advanced anesthesia equipment to safe and effective care in treating everything from routine cleanings to root canals.
Dental Care Resources
(Click to download)
- What is a professional veterinary dental cleaning?
- What is anesthesia free pet dental cleaning?
- What are the risks of anesthesia free pet dental cleaning?
- How can I care for my pet’s teeth at home?
- What are the costs associated with veterinary dental cleanings?
- Dental DOs and DON’Ts
- Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions
- Periodontal disease
- Stages of periodontal disease