AMC’s Externship Program
AMC’s externship experience offers a comprehensive exposure to a multi-disciplinary referral specialty hospital. Candidates must be third- or fourth-year veterinary students in good academic standing at an AVMA accredited school of veterinary medicine.
While New York State licensure laws do not permit students to administer treatments, there is an enormous amount of information to be gained by observation and exposure to our extensive caseload. Interaction with clinicians, interns, residents, and technicians allow students to learn about hospital care policies and procedures. All are welcome to attend lectures, medical rounds, and continuing education seminars.
Please understand that due to strict New York State licensing laws, externs are not allowed any hands-on training. This program is strictly observational.
The services of the Animal Medical Center are as follows:
- Avian and Exotics (Sun – Fri)
- Cardiology (Mon – Sun)
- Critical Care and Emergency (7 days a week/12pm – 8pm)
- Dentistry (Mon – Fri) *needs approval
- Dermatology (Tues – Sat)
- Diagnostic Imaging (Mon – Fri or Tues – Sat)
- Internal Medicine A (7 days a week)
- Internal Medicine B (7 days a week)
- Interventional Radiology and Endoscopy (Mon – Fri)
- Neurology (Mon – Sun)
- Oncology (Mon – Sat)
- Ophthalmology (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday)
- Orthopedic Surgery (Mon – Fri)
- Pathology (Mon – Fri) *needs approval
- Radiation Oncology (Mon – Fri)
- Rehabilitation and Canine Physical Therapy (Mon – Sat)
- Surgery 2 (Soft Tissue only) (Wed – Sat)
- Surgery 3 (Mon – Fri)
- Surgery 4 (Mon – Fri)
- Surgical Oncology (Tuesday – Saturday)
Read our service descriptions for more information.
We do not enroll any students for externships from June 1st through July 20th. Externships are up to four weeks in duration. Applications must be received at least one month prior to the requested start date. Apply by downloading an externship application and submitting with a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information please email email@example.com.Back to top