The death of a pet can cause sadness, anger and guilt. The AMC’s Pet Loss Support Group is a comforting place to share experiences and feelings in a supportive and compassionate environment.
AMC Pet Loss Support Group Meetings
Ari Rosner, LCSW, leads The AMC’s Pet Loss Support Group. She holds meetings every other Tuesday from 6:15-8:15pm in the 5th floor conference room of the Animal Medical Center. Please note: While we attempt to meet every other Tuesday, the schedule sometimes changes, so please consult this list or call 212.838.8100 or email us to confirm. These meetings are free and open to the public.
2016 Meeting Dates:
June 7 – CANCELED
More dates to be added.
Group Sessions: Below is a list of additional group support resources in and around New York City.
- Bide-a-Wee | 212.532.4986 | Manhattan
- VNS of NY | 516-263-4356 | Manhattan
- Hope Veterinary Clinic | 718.852.4219 | Brooklyn
- Animal Specialty Center | 914.457.4000 | Yonkers
- Bide-a-Wee | 516.785.4199 | Long Island
- St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare | 973.377.7094 | Madison, NJ
Individual Counseling: If you are seeking individual counseling, below is a list of recommended counselors.
- Jeremy Ortman, LMHC | 646.707.2224 | www.jeremyortman.com
- Barbara Newman | 212.255.5232
- Julie Ross | 917.880.1928
- Laurie Sine | 917.509.6508
- Dr. Wallace Sife | 718.339.3592
- Medea Berkman | 516.785.6416
- Janet Zimmerman, LCSW-R, Long Island Pet Loss Support Services | 631.643.6205
- Barbara Meyers, Certified Grief Therapist | 718.720.5548
- Nancy Saxton-Lopez | 201.447.1409
Online Support: Below is a list of online support resources that many group members have found helpful.
- Association for Pet Loss & Bereavement
- The Pet Loss Grief Support Website & Candle Ceremony
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Pet Loss Support
- Loss of a Pet, 3rd Ed., by Wallace Sife
- A Time to Grieve: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One, by Carol Staudacher
- A 30 Day Guide to Healing from the Loss of Your Pet, by Gael J. Ross (available through The AMC)
Questions/Concerns: If you have any questions about the group or any of the resources above, or if you have recommendations of other resources that have been helpful for you, please contact Ari Rosner.