The death of a pet can cause sadness, anger and guilt. The AMC’s Pet Loss Support Group is a comforting place to share experiences and feelings in a supportive and compassionate environment.
AMC Pet Loss Support Group Meetings
Ari Rosner, LCSW, leads The AMC’s Pet Loss Support Group. She holds meetings every other Tuesday from 6:15-8:15pm in the 5th floor conference room of the Animal Medical Center. Please note: While we attempt to meet every other Tuesday, the schedule sometimes changes, so please consult this list or call 212.838.8100 or email us to confirm. These meetings are free and open to the public.
2016 Meeting Dates:
More dates to be added soon.
Group Sessions: Below is a list of additional group support resources in and around New York City.
- Bide-a-Wee | 212.532.4986 | Manhattan
- Bide-a-Wee | 516.785.4199 | Long Island
- Hope Veterinary Clinic | 718.852.4219 | Brooklyn
- Animal Specialty Center | 914.457.4000 | Yonkers
- St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare | 973.377.7094 | Madison, NJ
- VNS of NY | 516-263-4356 | Manhattan
Online Support: Below is a list of online support resources that many group members have found helpful.
- Association for Pet Loss & Bereavement
- The Pet Loss Grief Support Website & Candle Ceremony
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Pet Loss Support
- Loss of a Pet, 3rd Ed., by Wallace Sife
- A Time to Grieve: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One, by Carol Staudacher
- A 30 Day Guide to Healing from the Loss of Your Pet, by Gael J. Ross (available through The AMC)
Individual Counseling: If you are seeking individual counseling, below is a list of recommended counselors.
- Jeremy Ortman, LMHC | 646.707.2224 | Manhattan |
- Barbara Newman | 212.255.5232 | Manhattan
- Julie Ross | 917.880.1928 | Manhattan
- Laurie Sine | 917.509.6508 | Manhattan
- Dr. Wallace Sife | 718.339.3592 | Brooklyn
- Medea Berkman | 516.785.6416 | Long Island
- Janet Zimmerman, LCSW-R, Long Island Pet Loss Support Services | 631.643.6205 | Long Island
- Nancy Saxton-Lopez | 201.447.1409 | New Jersey
- Barbara Meyers, Certified Grief Therapist | 718.720.5548 l Staten Island
Questions/Concerns: If you have any questions about the group or any of the resources above, or if you have recommendations of other resources that have been helpful for you, please contact Ari Rosner.