The death of a pet can cause sadness, anger and guilt. The AMC’s Pet Loss Support Group is a comforting place to share experiences and feelings in a supportive and compassionate environment.
AMC Pet Loss Support Group Meetings
Mary Brosnan leads AMC’s Pet Loss Support Group. She holds meetings every other THURSDAY from 6:15-8:15pm in the 5th floor conference room of the Animal Medical Center. Please note: While we attempt to meet every other Thursday, the schedule sometimes changes, so please consult this list or call 212.838.8100 or email us to confirm. These meetings are free and open to the public.
2016 Meeting Dates:
2017 Meeting Dates:
More dates to be added.
Group Sessions: Below is a list of additional group support resources in and around New York City.
- Animal Specialty Center | 914.457.4000 | Yonkers
- Bideawee | 866.262.8133 | Manhattan & Westhampton
- Hope Veterinary Clinic | 718.852.4219 | Brooklyn
- Red Bank Animal Hospital | 732.747.3636 or 856-429-4394 | Tinton Falls & Mt. Laurel, NJ
- St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare | 973.377.7094 | Madison, NJ
Individual Counseling: If you are seeking individual counseling, below is a list of recommended counselors.
- Rachel Karnovsky, PsyD | www.rachelkarnovskypsyd.com
- Jeremy Ortman, LMHC | 646.707.2224 | www.jeremyortman.com
- Barbara Newman | 212.255.5232
- Julie Ross | 917.880.1928
- Laurie Sine | 917.509.6508
- Dr. Wallace Sife | 718.339.3592
- Medea Berkman | 516.785.6416
- Janet Zimmerman, LCSW-R, Long Island Pet Loss Support Services | 631.643.6205
- Barbara Meyers, Certified Grief Therapist | 718.720.5548
- Nancy Saxton-Lopez | 201.447.1409
- Animal Health Foundation, Pet Loss and Bereavement
- Association for Pet Loss & Bereavement
- Help With Pet Loss
- Pet Loss Help
Grief Counseling Hotlines:
- ASPCA Pet Loss Hotline | 877-GRIEF-10
7 days a week
- Cornell University Pet Loss Support Hotline | 607-253-3932
Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Washington State University Pet Loss Hotline | 509-335-5704
Monday-Thursday, 7:00pm-9:00pm and Saturday 1:00pm-3:00pm (PT)
Phone messages can be left 24 hours a day
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline | 800-273-8255
Phone lines are open 24 hours a day
Support for Children:
- Loss of a Pet, 3rd Ed., by Wallace Sife
- A Time to Grieve: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One, by Carol Staudacher
- A 30 Day Guide to Healing from the Loss of Your Pet, by Gael J. Ross (available through AMC)
Virtual Tribute/Memorial Sites:
Questions/Concerns: If you have any questions about the group or any of the resources above, or if you have recommendations of other resources that have been helpful for you, please contact Mary Brosnan.