Veterinary Student Clinical Programs
THE AMC IS ONE OF THE WORLD’S LEADING VETERINARY TEACHING INSTITUTIONS
The mission of The AMC’s Institute for Postgraduate Education is to provide high-quality undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate educational opportunities in clinical veterinary medicine.
Our programs include an Externship Program for veterinary students, a one-year Internship Program for veterinary school graduates and a Residency Program for graduates interested in specialty board certification.
The AMC’s externship experience offers a comprehensive exposure to a multi-disciplinary referral specialty hospital. Candidates must be third- or fourth-year veterinary students in good academic standing at an AVMA accredited school of veterinary medicine.
While New York State licensure laws do not permit students to administer treatments, there is an enormous amount of information to be gained by observation and exposure to our extensive caseload. Interaction with clinicians, interns, residents and technicians allow students to learn about hospital care policies and procedures. All are welcome to attend lectures, medical rounds and continuing education seminars.
Please understand that due to strict New York State licensing laws, externs are not allowed any hands-on training. This program is strictly observational.
The services of the Animal Medical Center are as follows:
- Avian and Exotics (Tues – Fri)
- Cardiology (Mon – Sat)
- Critical Care and Emergency (7 days a week/Noon – 8pm)
- Dentistry (Mon – Fri) *needs approval
- Dermatology (Tues – Sat)
- Diagnostic Imaging (Mon – Fri or Tues – Sat)
- Internal Medicine A (7 days a week)
- Internal Medicine B (Mon – Fri)
- Interventional Radiology and Endoscopy (Mon – Thurs) *needs approval
- Neurology (Mon – Fri)
- Oncology (Mon – Sat)
- Ophthalmology (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday)
- Orthopedic Surgery (Mon – Fri)
- Pathology (Mon – Fri) *needs approval
- Radiation Oncology (Mon – Fri)
- Rehabilitation and Canine Physical Therapy (Mon – Sat)
- Surgery 1 (Mon – Fri)
- Surgery 2 (Soft Tissue only) (Mon – Fri)
- Surgery 3 (Mon – Fri)
Read our service descriptions for more information.
We do not enroll any students for externships from June 1st through July 20th. Externships are up to four weeks in duration. Applications must be received at least one month prior to the requested start date. Apply by downloading an externship application and submit with a copy of your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (212) 329-8850. Limited housing is available. Once your travel dates have been finalized, you may apply for Animal Medical Center housing by submitting a completed housing application. PLEASE NOTE: Housing will no longer be available after October 30, 2016.