Pet Health Library

Xylitol Poisoning

Background

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is found in everything from chewing gum to peanut butter to ice cream to toothpaste. It’s often listed under other names, including birch sugar, birch extract, or wood sugar. While considered safe for humans, xylitol is highly poisonous to pets. If a dog consumes xylitol, blood sugar can drop dangerously low, resulting in seizures, liver failure, and even death.  

information about the sugar substitute xylitol

Signs

Common signs of xylitol poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Lack of coordination
  • Weakness
  • Collapse
  • Seizures

Treatment

If your pet ingests a product containing xylitol, take them to your veterinarian or an animal hospital immediately.

Prevention

The prevalence of xylitol and a lack of consistent labeling can make it difficult for pet owners to determine which products are safe. Be careful when purchasing products advertised as “sugar-free” or “low sugar,” and keep all questionable items out of your pet’s reach.  

Make an Appointment

Emergency & Critical Care

About Emergency & Critical Care at AMC

The Emilia Saint-Amand Krimendahl Institute for Trauma Care at the Animal Medical Center is a state-of-the-art facility to provide compassionate and expert care for pets that need emergency and critical assistance. AMC is a verified veterinary trauma center, fully equipped to manage life-threatening traumatic injuries and staffed by experie...

Learn More