The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center is seeking qualified applications for a full-time position in the Surgical Oncology Service as a Senior Veterinarian. Applicants must possess a DVM or equivalent degree and be ACVS or ECVS board certified or board eligible in surgery and be eligible for licensure in New York State.
- Supervising all surgical oncology patients
- Instructing and supervising technicians, rotating and specialty interns, veterinary student externs, and surgery residents practicing surgical oncology
- Providing in-house surgical oncology consultation to other hospital departments for dogs, cats, small mammals, reptiles, and birds
- Providing consultation support to referring veterinarians
- Providing didactic lectures for interns, residents, and the referring veterinary community
AMC’s Surgical Oncology Team
The Surgical Oncology Service is currently comprised of one surgical oncologist, surgery residents, rotating interns, dedicated Licensed Veterinary Technicians and veterinary assistants, and a service coordinator. The successful candidate will join AMC’s Cancer Institute with two ACVIM Diplomates in Medical Oncology and one ACVR Diplomate in Radiation Oncology; we are also planning to expand our team by hiring an additional medical oncologist and radiation oncologist. The Interventional Radiology and Endoscopy Service also supports our hospital and provides access to interventional oncologic therapies. We partner with these team members to provide comprehensive cancer care.
With the addition of a second surgical oncologist, we plan to expand the surgical oncology service to extend our educational support of the hospital staff, residents, and interns and our referring veterinarian community.
The AMC is equipped with a brand new Elekta Infinity Linac system with Electron and 6 MV photon capability with variable dose rate capability. The Linac is equipped with an advanced Agility MLC (offering enhanced modulation of dose), a 6-degree HexaPOD couch, a cone-beam CT with integrated 4DCT respiratory gating capability, and a set of SRS cones as a second stereotactic option for planning of very small targets of less than 1 cm. The Radiation Oncology department is also equipped with a Strontium probe for the treatment of small surface lesions.
Our hospital’s technology also includes:
- 5 operating suites with our surgical space set to triple in size following renovations in 2024
- State of the art laparoscopy and thoracoscopy
- Philips Intera 1.5T MRI with a new MRI to be installed summer, 2023
- Toshiba Aquilion 64 slice CT scanner
- On site diagnostic radiography and ultrasonography
- On-site IDEXX laboratory as well as point-of-care analyzers
- Competitive salary
- Generous sign-on bonus
- Four-day work week
- Comprehensive benefits including health insurance with medical, dental, and vision benefits, very generous paid time off, paid continuing education time-off stipend, and 403-b retirement plan with employer contribution
- Possibility of housing in an AMC apartment building or assistance to find housing
- School loan debt forgiveness opportunity as a non-profit hospital
- Non-corporate practice with no percentage pay
- Collegial work with colleagues in a non-competitive structure with strong teaching and mentoring opportunities as well as opportunities for research
A Commitment to Lifelong Learning
The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center is located in the heart of Manhattan, near a multitude of prestigious leading research and teaching hospitals. The AMC’s commitment to compassionate and pioneering veterinary care dates to 1910 when it was founded as a clinic to help animals whose owners could not afford treatment. We continue this legacy today as the world’s largest non-profit animal hospital, with 130+ veterinarians working collaboratively across 20 specialties and services. Our team prides itself on delivering world class veterinary care to help keep pet families together.
When you join the team at AMC, you join a renowned team of veterinary professionals dedicated to innovative care, research, and education. Our prestigious postgraduate education programs attract future leaders in veterinary medicine, and the clinical research conducted at AMC has led to breakthroughs that change the way veterinary care is delivered industry wide. This shared commitment to learning, teaching, and innovative care creates a collegial, collaborative environment with rewarding opportunities for advancement and growth.
We’re building the future of veterinary medicine at the Schwarzman Animal Medical Center, thanks to our transformative Gift of Love campaign to expand and enhance our clinical, educational, and research capacities. Construction is currently underway to fully renovate the hospital, ensuring AMC is at the forefront of veterinary medicine for generations to come.
Salary Range: $300,000 – $330,000
For information, please contact Dr. Jonathan Ferrari at email@example.com. To apply for this position, please send your resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to Human Resources at HRdept@amcny.org.