The Avian and Exotic Pet Service was established in 1984 as the first specialty service for exotic pets in New York City and the surrounding metropolitan area. We provide state-of-the-art medical and surgical care for all different types of pets, including birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, small rodents, and reptiles. We offer routine preventative health care as well as specialty care, and we are the premier referral service for birds and exotic pets in the tri-state area. Our staff of veterinarians and technicians are highly experienced and trained in all aspects of avian and exotic pet medicine.
Because we work directly with other board certified veterinarians in the specialty services offered at AMC, we can provide comprehensive expert consultation and care for your bird or exotic pet that you will find nowhere else in the NYC metropolitan area. These services include Orthopedic and Soft Tissue Surgery, Cardiology, Ophthalmology, Dentistry, Anesthesia, Critical Care, Dermatology, Neurology, Oncology, and Interventional Radiology.
Routine services that we provide include:
- Wellness checks and health examinations
- Nutrition and husbandry assessment
- Routine blood tests
- Serologic screening for infectious diseases
- Routine grooming for birds, including corrective beak trims
- Digital radiography
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Endoscopy and laparoscopy
- Rabbit and rodent dentistry, including skull CT scanning
- Advanced avian, rodent, and reptile surgery
We are available to see your pet by appointment by calling 212-838-7053 or 212-838-8100. For emergencies for birds and exotic pets, our Emergency Service is open 24 hours/day, 7 days per week.
- Pet Birds General Care Sheet
- Pet Ferrets General Care Sheet
- Pet Rabbits General Care Sheet
- Pet Turtles General Care Sheet
Check out our additional resources for exotic pet owners. (Scroll down when you arrive on the page.)